If you’re looking for information about braces, Dr. Thomas Lien, Dr. Mani Alikhani and the team of professionals at House of Orthodontia understand that orthodontic treatment with braces in the East Village is an investment of time and money for their patients. They give their patients a thorough understanding of how to get the best outcome from wearing braces.
- Maintain good oral hygiene habits: Wearing braces requires the patient to practice good brushing and flossing regimens. Your orthodontist will instruct you on how to clean them properly and how to floss without interfering with your arch-wires. While conscientious dental hygiene should already be part of your daily routine, it is important to continuing the habits by brushing after every meal, flossing frequently, and using mouthwash regularly. A dentist’s check-up twice a year is also important.
- Eat a healthy diet: Because of their construction and position in your mouth, braces might put some limits and what foods you can eat during your treatment. Some types of foods and drinks that you should cut back on are sugary, sticky, chewy, and acidic foods or drinks. Candies, chewing gum, and soda can create problems for your treatment. Crunchy and hard foods can also damage your appliances and should be avoided if possible. Dr. Lien recommends his patients use this opportunity to make some healthy lifestyle and diet changes.
- Wear a Mouth-guard: A great way to avoid any chance of your appliances breaking while playing sports is to wear a mouth-guard. Braces are tough and strong, and while they are designed to treat and correct dental malocclusion and improve your smile, they can sometimes break. If they break, it can be painful and cause delays in your treatment time. You should contact your orthodontist as soon as you notice a problem so it can be fixed immediately.
- Talk to your orthodontist: Keep the flow of information between you and your orthodontist open. If you’re feeling discomfort because of your braces, schedule a visit with your orthodontist as soon as possible. A simple adjustment may be all that is necessary to relieve your pain.
- Remember to smile: Smiling strengthens the muscles that control your mouth and helps to release good, healthy endorphin’s. House of Orthodontia says that smiling helps your lips from getting caught in your appliances, too. And it’s great practice for showing off those pearly whites once your braces come off!
Dr. Alikhani, Dr. Lien, and the team at House of Orthodontia are experts in braces. If you have any questions pertaining to braces, clear braces, Invisalign, or Invisalign Teen in Cobble Hill, NY, Brooklyn Heights, NY, Boerum Hill, NY, East Village, NY or the 11201 zip code area, or would like to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Alikhani or Dr. Lien contact House of Orthodontia at: (718) 852-4414